Kerala Law Academy Law College in association with Centre for Advanced Legal Studies and Research (CALSAR) is organizing a One Day International Conference on Emerging Significance of Maritime Law in the Indian and International Arena, via virtual mode on 3rd July 2021 from the Kerala Law Academy Campus, Peroorkada, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. The Conference is conducted through online platforms ZOOM and GOOGLE MEET. All the participants should have good access to the internet and be able to access the above said online platform.
3 July 2021
Last date of submission:
12 June 2021
Gemma Andreone, PhD, LLM,Legal Adviser, Director of Research, Institute for International Legal Studies (ISGI), Italian National Research Council (CNR) will be the Chief Guest of the International Conference.
Call for Papers
The Organizing Committee is calling for Research Articles from Law Students, Academicians, Lawyers, Social Workers, Policy Makers, and Officials from various Departments- Representatives from Institutions and Professionals; NGO, Social Activists, Social Science Researchers and Faculty and Research Scholars. The Research Articles received would be published in Proceedings with ISBN.
- The Jurisdiction of Admiralty Court- Historical Overview.
- Foreign Aspects and Extent of Admiralty Jurisdiction.
- Admiralty Jurisdiction at the Present Time.
- Role of Admiralty Courts in the Exercise of Admiralty Jurisdiction.
- History of seafarers and World Shipping.
- Need for the Protection of Legal Rights of Seafarers.
- Protection of Seafarers in the Ancient Period.
- Arrest of Ships and the Legal Issues faced by the Seafarers.
- Flag of Convenience and the Legal Issues faced by the Seafarers.
- Role of International Organisations in protecting the Rights of Seafarers-IMO, ILO, ITF etc.
- Legal Protection of Seafarers: A Comparative Analysis of Different Countries with the Indian Legal System.
- Schemes for the Protection of Seafarers in the Indian Legal System.
- Recruitment and Placement of Seafarers.
- Role of the Directorate General of Shipping in the welfare of the Seafarers in India.
- Protection of Health and Safety of Seafarers.
- Conditions of employment, and issues related to medical care and welfare of the seafarers.
- Provisions under the Merchant Shipping Act 1958 and International Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) 2006 which ensures Protection of Health and Safety of the Seafarers.
- Issues related to Repatriation and Abandonment of Seafarers.
- Enforcement of Seafarers Claims through Admiralty Proceedings in India.
- Relevance of UNCLOS and other Legal Instruments in Resolving Maritime Disputes.
- Threats caused by the Vessels to the Marine Environment.
- Role of the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL) in protecting Marine Environment.
- Marine Pollution Control Measures.
- Indian Legislations in Preventing Marine Pollution in India.
- Preventing and Prosecuting Piracy at Sea: Legal Issues.
- Somalian Pirates: A Challenge to the Maritime Community.
- Role of IMO in Combating Maritime Piracy.
- UNCLOS and Piracy
- Need for Maritime Piracy Law in India: Challenges and Opportunities.
Note: These Themes are not exhaustive; Authors are open to work on any topic related to above mentioned theme.
Kindly send the abstract on or before 12th June2021 by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines for Paper Submission
- Kindly confine yourself to the areas identifiable with the title ofConference. The papers must be in Times New Roman, Font Size: Heading-14, Text-12 in A4 format, single line spacing, not exceeding 2500 words including Title, details of the Author/s and Footnotes. Authors are encouraged to use The Bluebook (20th ed.) citation format for footnoting and it should be in Times New Roman Font 10 size. Further, speaking footnotes are discouraged.
- An Abstract not exceeding 250 words shall be submitted for consideration. The Abstract shall contain the Synopsis of the Paper, Subtitles, Reference materials and Conclusion indicating author’s perspective. The abstract must be mailed to email@example.com with the subject “Abstract submission” on or before 12th June 2021. It must be accompanied by a cover page, stating the following:
Title of the paper; Sub-Theme; Name of Author(s); Name of Institute/ Organization; Official Designation; E-mail Address; Postal Address; Contact Number
- The Submission should be in WORD FORMAT.
- The Papers shall be screened by a Committee. The Full Papers (2500 words) approved by the Committee shall be accepted for presentation in the Conference. The intimation of selection will be made through E-mail.
- The final paper should contain a cover page which includes Name, Designation, Relevant Discipline and Year of Study, Address, E-mail id and Contact number. Authors are to give details in the Full Paper.
- Abstracts and papers should be written in English, and the working language of the Conference will be English and presentations shall be done in English.
- Submissions should be made by the author who will attend the Conference.
- Co-Authorship is allowed but limited to one Co-Author only.
- Only one paper per participant will be permitted. Multiple submissions will lead to disqualification.
- No part of the paper should have been published earlier nor should it be under consideration for publication. Any form of Plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
- The Organizers will take earnest effort to publish the best articles selected from among those received, subject to their acceptance by reputed journals as per their criteria.
- Publishing Charges if any demanded for the journal is to be paid by the author.
- Submission of Abstracts: 12th June, 2021.
- Communication of Abstract Acceptance: 2nd June, 2021.
- Submission of Full paper: 23rd June, 2021.
- Intimation of Full paper Acceptance: 25th June, 2021
- Date of payment of Registration fee: 28th June, 2021
- International Conference: 3rd July, 2021
There is a Registration fee of Rs.750/- per participant (Additional fee of Rs.250/- should be paid in the case of maximum one Co-Author).
All the Participants will be awarded with an E-certificate of presentation.
1. Mrs. PRIYA M K (Assistant Professor, Kerala Law Academy) – 9633311359
Faculty Co- Conveners
- Dr. DAKSHINA SARASWATHY (General Secretary MCS and Assistant Professor, Kerala Law Academy) – 9744169215.
- Mrs. DARSANA S THAMPI (Assistant Professor, Kerala Law Academy)- 8086406054.
- Mr. SACHIN B (Assistant Professor, Kerala Law Academy) – 9446668991.
- AJAY Y – 9746525734
- SRUTHI KANNAN – 8921194385
- HRISHIKESH JAYASARMAN- 7025263839
- NANDAKISHORE A- 9567604290
- ARJUN PM- 9074918354
- GOPIKA SASI- 9495820263
- DARSANA VIKRAM- 9745448409
- SREEDURGA M U- 9400186527
- ASHIQ MUHAMMAD M – 9567627006
- ABHIRAMI S – 8921955648